Tuesday 7 June 2011

Seraphim Blues

Angelina
Spoken in a whisper.
Whistling through the sorrow stained alleyways of my memories on the wings of drunken white doves.
That name.
That girl.

02:17A.M.
She lay next to me in her bedroom at the Paradiso. All around us the city of Old Lurk was raging on into the morning as the Stink-Fiends stunk, the Def-Cons flexed & the Ga-Ga Clowns threw shapes down Mistletoe Lane. The whole ungodly mixed bag made their wicked way to whatever troughs of desire were available.
Old Lurk. The city all cities dream of. The nowhere town.
& despite all the depravity ejaculating & quivering about us, we rested on pink cloud silk sheets. Holed up. Just me & her.
It was somehow cinematic.
Groovy.
Her scent wafted from her pale glowing skin, skin that shone even in the darkness that covered the rest of the room like a layer of thick soot. Skin that felt like electric marshmallows. That smelt like cherry blossoms. Pine. Fresh mint. That tasted of ambrosia bonbons.
To penetrate a being of light, to ride some living lightning & fuck cosmically amongst the nebulas & red dwarves that pulsed as we came together & clutched each other on the journey back down to Old Lurk.
Gott In Himmel!, as old Adolf used to say.
If only.
We'd known each other a good long while. Ever since working together on the incident with that godforsaken Limbomerchant. We had flirted a little even then. While those void-shots whistled death a hair's length from our ears at that mad bastard's Unergy Reactor & extinction seemed inevitable, we had grinned at our doom & her golden eyes had promised more intimate relations than a born again Baptist filled with the Holy Spirit. Let's just say that it put a little bit more metaphysical lead in my physical pencil. So, when I finally caught up with Mr In-Between & I threw him over the Big Jaws Dam & when she ran into my arms as he screamed his last utterance that disappeared in the torrent of Martini red water below …
Ahhhh … All the times we'd ridden the wild night since then.

02:26 A.M.
I gots a job to do
Angelina had been siphoning information to the Tenebris for aeons. Even angels get greedy, I suppose. She had gotten a couple of good men's souls separated from their bodies for her work. Black Jack. Mickey Stormdog. Good men. These incidents wouldn't have been my business. The Coldest of all Wars continues eternally & who knows which side you'll be on tomorrow.
The Lux were on to her by now.
I needed to get to her before they did, I told her we could protect her.
If only.
Easing myself out of the bed, I went over to where my white suit had been flung over the arm of an armchair in holy passion & I searched for & found the two instruments I needed. Kneeling next to her, I gazed down upon her seraphic loveliness, looking at her golden hair that shimmered & snaked as if itself was aware, her long lashes & her perfect sleep smile & I gently kissed her unlined forehead, feeling the little shocks & sparks play on my lips. The goddess in bed stirred for a moment, then thankfully went back to her reveries. I stood up, screwed that custom silencer into my old Luger, aimed & pulled the trigger three times.
It unloaded into her chest.
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
She rose, eyes wide with recognition, reaching out to me then falling back onto the bed.
Angelina had broken the rules & that was that.
She knew it.
It was nothing to do with sides.
It was when she had really begun to believe in the Tenebris that the powers above my head had begun to take notice. A scientist had, by accident, stumbled upon the means for one side to win this damned war. He had created a multi-dimensional data virus. A potential Pan-Dim pandemic. Unleashing this upon the Lux or the Tenebris & the multiverse would have created an equilibrium. It would have destroyed everything. That's what balance is. Death. That's what both sides want in this War.
To win = Death.
Angelina had seduced him with sweet fire spice & taken him to the Tenebris to extract the virus by any of their dreadful means. Poor bastard never knew what hit him when he woke up.
All for some damned ideology.
& I had to enter into Infernoville & execute the fumbling scientist & destroy all the information on the Pan-Dim. Which I did & did well.
My name's Vincent Blake & that is what I do.
& as I stared out into the beautiful morning sky of Old Lurk over the habitual plumes of smoke & Highrisers & Lowlifers, I saw a new bright light bringing star & a single tear carved its way down into my cheek.




Originally published on PDBrazill's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment